Thursday, September 13, 2012

BBAW - Book Blogging World

I am a little behind in posting for the past two days so I thought I would just combine posts from day two and three.

I do have an interview partner and I hope to post her answers to my questions later this week.

Here is a brief look at my reading habits/style:

  1. What's on your nightstand right now?  I just finished David Baldacci's The Innocent and I'm planning to start Linda Fairstein's Night Watch next.
  2. What was your favorite book when you were a child? Why? I remember I read a lot of Nancy Drew and Babysitter's Club books.  I've always been drawn to mystery books and the Babysitter's Club reminded me of some of my childhood experiences.
  3. Who are your top five authors and why? David Baldacci - because he always finds a way to keep me on the edge of my seat; Philippa Gregory - because she brings English history to life for me; Nicolle Wallace - because she writes strong woman characters in and around the White House; Taylor Stevens - because she mixes deep characters with amazing action and mystery; Lisa Scottoline - because her characters make me laugh
  4. Is there a book you faked reading? Do tell! There have been a few book club books that I skimmed very lightly because I had a hard time getting into the subject matter.  I usually don't count those books towards my overall book count.
  5. Is there a book you're an evangelist for? Tell me about it. Two books that I've recommended over the past couple of years were The Help by Kathryn Stockett and The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. If you haven't read either of them, I highly recommend that you do! 
  6. Any books you've bought for the cover? Which? Why? I am a sucker for a book cover and that's usually what catches my eye first. Sometimes it can be a detriment because the publishers change up the cover for the paperback sometimes.  I've bought a book in the airport thinking I hadn't read it, only to realize about 1/4 of the way through the book that I had read it and only the cover was different.
  7. What book do you most want to read again for the first time? Why? I would say The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern because I feel that there was so much detail that a reader could catch on a second read. 
Day three's topic was what does book blogging mean to you?

When I first started blogging, it was more a "requirement" for the reading challenge I signed up for.  I really didn't know how to structure a review and wasn't comfortable capturing my opinions.  Participating in read-a-thons and other book blogging memes has given me a chance to "find my voice" and try different styles of posts.  Capturing my thoughts about a book does make me stop and think about how the book made me feel instead of just moving on to the next book.  

I've also found that the book blogging community is very welcoming and enjoyed reading other blogs  to find more books for my TBR pile.  While book blogging is a hobby for me, I applaud those that are actively posting and sharing with others on a daily basis.  

I am amazed at the responses I've gotten from a few authors regarding my reviews.  Book blogging (and Twitter) has given me another way to connect with authors.  

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely agree about The Help and Henrietta Lacks. They are two books that absolutely deserve all of the attention they get. I think Henrietta Lacks is a book that appeals equally to men and women. I'm glad to hear about The Night Circus - I'm reading it in November with my book club.

    ReplyDelete