Saturday, April 21, 2012

Read-A-Thon Mini-Challenges

Turn To A Page: Reflections of a Bookaholic is hosting an interesting mini-challenge to fill in the blank of a sentence based on a phrase on page 32 of the book that you are reading. 

Here is mine:
"I would rather read than lie on a Turkish rag with a baby on my chest any day!"

p 32 of 'Next to Love' by Ellen Feldman

Book Sentences: On the Wings of Books is hosting a mini-challenge involving taking at least 3 book titles an making a sentence with them.

Here is mine:
"The kissing list, some enchanted evenings before ever after" - isn't that every girl's dream on how to find prince charming?

Book Appetit!: Book Journey is hosting a mini-challenge in which we are asked to share was food, drink and music we might use if hosting our book club for the book we are reading.  My book club has started a tradition of matching the snacks/desert offered at the meetings to correspond with the book - so I am familiar with this activity. 

The book I'm reading "Next to Love" is set in the early 1940s as World War II is just starting.  That makes me think of the soda shops or five and ten stores which served basic grill food.  So my menu would probably include grilled cheese, hot dogs, burgers, fries and probably some kind of milkshake or malt.  The music would include some big band and patriotic tunes from that era.  I visited the National World War II museum in New Orleans last June and they had an awesome women's trio sing songs from that era. 

Mid-Event Survey
1) How are you doing? Sleepy? Are your eyes tired?
I'm hanging in there.  This afternoon I was getting tired, but I tried to get up and move around a bit every hour or so.

2) What have you finished reading?
I've finished reading Harry Lipkin, Private Eye and Next to Love
 
3) What is your favorite read so far?



I would say I've enjoyed both of the books so far and don't have a favorite between them.

4) What about your favorite snacks?
I had two cups of hot chocolate so far and probably will have some tea before the night is over

5) Have you found any new blogs through the readathon? If so, give them some love! 
Yes - some of the readers I've been cheering for, I plan to follow post read-a-thon. 

5 comments:

  1. Awww your sentense is beautiful <3 :) :) Love it! :) ;) Great creativity ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd definitely go to your "Next to Love" party. I love the music of that era, especially the Andrews Sisters. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Turn to a Page challenge was a lot of fun, I've enjoyed seeing all the crazy different sentences! You're doing great today! From your TBR stack I've read Rebecca so far. Will have to check out the Sherlockian, that sounds interesting!

    Hope you're having a great time, and so glad you could join us today!

    --Shaunie (Team Mercutio)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great answers to the challenges! I love your book sentence! And my book club does the same thing - we try to make our menu something that was mentioned in the book, or something that just goes with the book in general.

    Good luck with the rest of the readathon and thanks so much for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice sentence - I would love to find my prince charming :) Thanks for participating.

    ReplyDelete