Friday, January 28, 2011

Library Day in the Life Round 6 - Day 5

This post is written for Round 6 of the Library Day in the Life project where librarians across the world share details of their daily activities. 


Today I was back in the office even with more snow flurries falling outside.  This morning I spent a little time thinking about what materials would be needed for the library table at the Intern Fair.  Each year NPR hosts an Intern Fair where possible future NPR interns come and learn about the opportunities available. Being a former intern myself, I was looking forward to talking to students.  NPR's Library has a good track record with hiring former interns when positions open up and I've found that internships & fellowships are a great way to get a sense of what a specific job/environment entails.

Also this morning I spent some time catching up on ALA & SLA emails/duties.  I took the ALA Membership Meeting Survey and also posted some NMRT announcements on the various social media networks that NMRT has a presence on. I also turned down an appointment as chair of the SLA Technical Standards Committee.  It was hard to say no, but I have a wedding to plan and a huge project at work to implement. 

In the afternoon I did a shift at the Library table and met some interesting students.  Unfortunately, none of them were library students but it was nice to share a bit about what the Library does here at NPR.

The rest of the day was spent cataloging.  I leave you with a few more interesting stories from the day:
It has been fun blogging this week my daily activities. Even though round 6 continues through Sunday this will be my last blog post as I have the weekend off =)

1 comment:

  1. How did I completely miss this project?! I've a closet fantasy of becoming a librarian -- and I could have been living vicariously thru many this whole time?!

    Better late ... thanks for sharing your day!

    ReplyDelete