Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Library Day in the Life Round 6 - Day 3

This post is written for Round 6 of the Library Day in the Life project where librarians across the world share details of their daily activities. 

As the latest snow storm made its way into the DC metro area, I spent the morning attending two regularly scheduled meetings. First was our weekly cataloging meeting.  Every week the library staff meets to talk about issues we might have found while cataloging or to discuss what subject terms or keywords to use for the latest breaking news event.  Most of our discussion this morning was about preferred name spellings for various persons in the news.  The second meeting was a bi-weekly data migration meeting.  The library staff is working on various data migration projects as part of the migration to a new database (Artemis).  These bi-weekly meetings are our way to check-in and discuss any new errors or conditions we've found while cleaning up the record sets we are assigned.

After those meetings I tested a new version of software that is being rolled out to the News staff.  I had reported a bug to the IT development team yesterday and they felt that this new version could fix the issue I reported.  They were correct.  I also spent some time pulling together weekly statistics for the HERMES database which myself and my colleague Kee sent to News Management to report on compliance of metadata standards.

In the afternoon, my goal was to work on the cataloging backlog I have waiting for me.  I was able to get through a show before we were given an early dismissal (due to the snow).  I ended up volunteering to cover the Reference Desk for the rest of the afternoon.  Luckily it was quiet for the rest of the afternoon and I was able to get more cataloging done before heading out into the storm myself.

Here are links to some of the interesting stories I cataloged this afternoon:

No comments:

Post a Comment