Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Twenty-eight: Amandine - Marlena De Blasi

***Full disclosure: This book was provided for free by Ballantine Books via LibraryThing's Early Reviewers group ***

Amandine is a story of a young girl raised as an orphan in a French convent where she learns to love her governess and fear the vengeful abbess who hates her without reason or remorse. Amandine longs for her real mother and it is this longing that takes her across war-torn Europe into the heart of French Resistance.  She magically and tragically moves towards the family she never knew.

I thought the back story of this book was interesting, but I felt that I was always wanting more to the story line. I felt that the description of the book made me think that at some point Amandine would be reunited with her family (spoiler - she never does find out who is her family - or her family find her).  This book just wasn't for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment