Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Twenty-Seven: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith

May Book Club Selection

I wasn't sure what to think about this book when we first selected it in book club.  I had seen other Cannonball Read participants reading and reviewing it  - Prisco & Rusty - so it couldn't be that bad.

I'm a big Jane Austin fan.  I've read most of her books.  I did a book report in high school comparing and contrasting the matchmaking in the 19th century within Emma with current day matchmaking companies. 

I have read the original Pride and Prejudice as well as seen the latest movie version.  I was pleasantly surprised that this book is exactly what the title claims - Jane Austin's book with zombies and ninja fighting Bennett sisters.  I found the illustrations to be a fun distraction and looked forward to the next one as I read the book. I would definitely recommend that you read the original book and/or watch a movie version before reading this book.  Having a basic knowledge of the plot allows the reader to enjoy the fun and humor that the zombie attacks and fighting brings to this classic.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I found your blog through LibraryThing and wanted to say hello.

    I'm not much of a fan of the new alternative horror interpretations of the classics as well. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies might be good because it started the trend but the genre got a bit out of hand (in my opinion).

    http://www.ManOfLaBook.com

    ReplyDelete