Friday, September 14, 2012

CBR4 # 23 The Keep by Jennifer Egan

Two cousins, irreversibly damaged by a childhood prank, reunite twenty years later to renovate a medieval castle in Eastern Europe. In an environment of extreme paranoia, cut off from the outside world, the men reenact the signal event of their youth, with even more catastrophic results. And as the full horror of their predicament unfolds, a prisoner, in jail for an unnamed crime, recounts an unforgettable story that seamlessly brings the crimes of the past and present into piercing relation.

I didn't mean to read two graphic novels back to back.  I picked up this book because I wanted to read  some backlist books of Jennifer Egan after reading A Visit From The Goon Squad.

I was confused at first why we kept going between two narrators and finally realized it was a story within a story.  I felt the last quarter of the book didn't fit with the rest of the book.  The dialogue style was hard to adapt to and felt very play like, 

When Danny visited the town outside of the castle, I was reminded of the movie The Truman Show where he finds out everything is scripted. I had a hard time believing some of the action in the plot -such as Danny falling in love with the baroness and surviving the fall from the tower.

Overall I had a hard time relating to any of the characters and really just finished the book to see what happened. 

No comments:

Post a Comment