Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Fourty-Nine: A Passion for Books

I don't remember how this book ended up on my to-read list, but I found it a few weeks ago and decided to put in on my hold list at the DCPL. 

Harold Rabinowitz and Rob Kaplan edited this collection of stories, essays, poetry, cartoons and lists regarding books, reading, and collecting.

Even though there are many well-known authors and other book related folks represented in this book, I only ended up really reading thoroughly the essays written by the two editors and Anna Quindlen - "How Reading Changed My Life". 

It was amusing to see the inclusion of lists of books and the many variations of biblio words used as titles. Also my favorite cartoon was from The New Yorker depicting a real estate agent showing a wealthy couple an apartment where one room had floor to ceiling bookcases.  The caption reads "What kind of crazy people used to live here anyway?"

At the end of the book in case you haven't had enough text about books and reading, the editors include a bibliography of books on books.  This section reminds me of one section of the Library of Congress gift shop which is a collection of books on books.

No comments:

Post a Comment