Sunday, August 15, 2010

Thirty-Six: A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini

August Book Club Selection

I started to read The Kite Runner a few years ago and had a hard time getting into the story.  I was concerned that this book might be the same way.  Working at NPR, I listen to stories about Afghanistan everyday.  This story - while fictional - explained life on the ground more than those NPR stories.

It was hard to imagine how these two women - Mariam and Laila - were able to adapt and cope with the conditions they faced - being unable to show skin outside of their husband's presence, having the possibility they could be violated just by leaving the house, limited food and multiple "rules" to follow are just a few.

It was interesting how Hosseini was able to integrate the history of Afghanistan throughout the fictional story.  The part that hit me the most was when the family did not have any money and had to starve basically as well as send the oldest child to an orphanage.  I'm not sure what I would do if I had no food and no options to obtain any food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment